Thursday, April 8, 2010

Street Corner Offerings

I like to take photographs of random things that I come across when I'm out walking. Indeed this includes dead animals and abandoned food. That's just how I roll. Often it produces interesting pictures and perplexed stares from the people around me. Sometimes, it seems, I learn something too.

For example, the other morning I had just gotten off the bus and was walking to the courthouse for some proceedings involving some juveniles. I'm crossing the street and I spy what looks like spilled food in the road. My reaction? Duh. Pull out my camera.


I snap a quick shot, traipse across the street, and then get stopped in my tracks again. More food. I snap another picture. Of course.

 

Then I notice the white candles, slightly burnt by the side of the food. Then I notice the colored paper. Then, I'm thinking, huh, this isn't just someone who didn't like the food they were eating. I bet this is actually a food offering to an Orixá.

Orixás are incarnations of deities who belong originally to the Yoruba religion.  When Africans were originally brought to Brazil as slaves, they brought their religion with them, sometimes representing their Orixás as Catholic saints so that they could practice without persecution. Candomble and Umbanda are some of the religions active today in Brazil (and many other countries) that worship Orixás. The presence of these religions is not as obvious here in southern Brazil as it is if you go further north.

So I was curious who might be the intended recipient of these food offerings. I went online (I love you, internet!) and did a little searching.

I found out that:

No. 1 There's a good likelihood that whoever left these offerings was practicing neither Candomble or Umbanda as I'd assumed, but actually practicing Batuque. I hadn't actually heard of this Afro-Brasilian religion until today, but from what I'm reading, it was founded in the state of Rio Grande do Sul (where I'm living right now) in the 1800s with influence from Nigeria and Guinea.

No. 2 It's likely that intended Orixá was Bará. He's at the top of the Orixá hierarchy and apparently offerings must be made to him before any other Orixá. But, my reasoning is more specific than that. Apparently, offerings should include popcorn, roasted corn, 7 roasted English potatoes and palm oil. His color is red. So, looking at what was left of the offerings, I think this is a good possibility, especially since he's associated with crossroads and that was where the offering was left. Of course, if I'm way off track, please let me know!

Here's a little bit more about Bará translated from this webpage:

"Principle Orixá of movement and connection. The messenger of the Orixás. 
Bará can be the most benevolent of the Orixás if he is treated with consideration and generosity. 
Identified as the devil by peculiar characteristics of behavior such as:
irreverence, superiority, arrogance, cunning. He is the owner of the keys to doors, crossroads, and paths. His greetings, obligations, and cuts, should always be done first."

It's interesting too - and I'm sure not coincidental that these crossroads also happened to be by one of the courthouses.

I'll leave you with some images that I found of Bará.

Apparently, he's also known as Exu...and carries around quite the scepter...



8 comments:

  1. I think you are really observing around and learning with everything you find. And yes, what you wrote is right. The oferendas are made at night and also have to be at a crossing (to facilitate to get stuff carried to the Orixas) and also in places where there is water falls or lakes, etc.. nature is related to the orixas, so thats why parks are also places where you may find this stuff.
    Anyway, its nice to see some "outsider" in the good sense of the term, really enjoying the Candomble and Umbanda. You may find chickens, dead chickens and watermelons as well.
    You should check also which one is your orixa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's wearing a dress!

    Very interesting. I remember in Salvador there were a bunch of statues of gods in the middle of a lake. Were those orixas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anonymous (aka A.) for commenting and filling out a bit better what I wrote :-) <3

    My guess is that Exu/Bará can wear whatever he pleases ;-) And I'd guess that the gods in the Salvadoran lake were orixás. So awesome that you got to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. its so cool that this random finding of yours become so enriching for you... and us, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you roll...

    (j/k_lolz)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your German-ish name Finchenmouse and glad you like how I roll j/k_lolz ;-) I don't know why but that phrase always makes me laugh so I had to throw it in there somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post and these comments... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice detective work! It's so interesting to find personal signs of other religions and cultures in unexpected places. I should really start carrying my camera around more often, haha.

    ReplyDelete