Sunday, April 25, 2010

Eye of a Goat

I bought these beans at the ecological farmer's market yesterday because I thought they looked pretty.

Olho de Cabra

Would they taste good? I had no idea, but I hoped so. Silly me, totally judging a book by its cute cover.

They're called Olho de Cabra or "Eye of Goat" so that made them seem even more curious to me. I don't recall the last time I looked a goat in the eye, so perhaps someone can enlighten me: are these what goats' eyes look like?



Today I put them in some water and boiled them for an ungodly amount of time.

Olho de Cabra

And the verdict?

Olho de Cabra, cooked

They looked a little less appealing (aka cute) when cooked.

But! They tasted just like lima beans, one of my favorite childhood foods. (Is that perhaps a vegetarian version of saying they taste just like chicken?) So of course to complete the tasty meal, I added some other childhood favorites on top: nutritional yeast and soy sauce. Nothing like a good old fashioned vegetarian upbringing (thank you Mom and Pop!) translated to Brazilian food options.


I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for these guys at the next farmer's market.

5 comments:

  1. Those beans ARE beautiful. And nutritional yeast...yuuummm...now I want popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...we'll have to have a movie night one of these days when we're both in ATX...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh nutritional yeast... popcorn party YEAH! and those beans are exactly like goats' eyes in that the minute you cook them they look... creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of nutritional yeast. The things you learn on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha - remind me never to cook real goats' eyes please. And Kevin, glad the internet could enlighten you about the splendidness that is nutritional yeast on popcorn :-)

    ReplyDelete