Friday, April 30, 2010

Starting to Say Goodbye

Funny how you can get nostalgic about a place before you've even left. With less than three weeks before I fly home, I've already entered into that territory. In no time I'll have graduated and I'll be looking for a fulfilling, challenging and inspiring job (if anyone has any leads, by all means let me know!). I'll have adapted back to the rhythm and flux of Austin, to daily life with my boyfriend, to breakfast tacos and Barton Springs and delicious potlucks with my friends, to driving a car again. And my time here will start to feel like something that happened in a sepia-tinted dream.

Hallway

Soon I'll be that girl. The one who instead of saying, "This one time at band camp..." will be saying, "This one time in Porto Alegre..." to anyone who will listen. Of course, I've still got a lot between me and my 6 PM flight on May 18. A LOT. Some of which I should be attending to this very moment instead of writing a blog entry. But hey, this is how I always operate, putting off the important stuff. I'm in this time period that my mother described as, "...such a whirlwind and a wanting to stay longer, yet feeling the rich fullness of the time." It's this moment where I want to grab onto everything and make it last, but where I'm also ready for home.

Bus Stop

I've been talking to some of the coordinators of the youth groups I've been working with, saying that I hope, hope, hope to find a job working with adolescents back in Texas (fingers crossed!). And then if that's the case, oh the possibilities. With a glint in our eyes we imagine embarking on projects of cross cultural exchange where the kids here can learn about the kids there and vice versa...like wouldn't it be so cool for kids to share pictures with each other about their lives, lived 5,000 miles away from each other?

The connections I've made won't be cut just because I leave the country...it's just the nostalgia I have for the little moments, all the walking around this city, all the waiting at bus stops, all the cafezinhos, daily greetings with doormen, finally knowing exactly where the coconut juice is located in the supermarket, always feeling pressured by the huge clock in front of the hospital, that time a little old lady asked me to help her across the street, how soft the skin of her hand felt against mine. It's a nostalgia for a place and time that can't be revisited because each time I return (and I do want to come back) will be a different experience. The deep colors of the graffiti that I took pictures of will have faded. Likely there will be new graffiti in its place.

On the Street

And so it goes. 
[Thank you Kurt Vonnegut for that oft-repeated phrase in Slaughterhouse Five which struck me as profound when I first read it at age 13 and has stuck with me ever since].

6 comments:

  1. Very poignant and well put, friend. I especially love that you are already looking at your world through sephia tinted glasses. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, I'm leaving May 27! I also have such mixed feelings of wanting to be home but also having so much more to do here and already starting to prepare myself for some of the things and people I'm going to miss. I always feel like I leave places right when I'm starting to hit my stride...maybe a function of the 6-9 month time frame I've always used for foreign living? I'm sure you'll make the most of your time left, and I'm looking forward to the yeasty popcorn reunion movie party in Austin. I nominate Cheasty to host--have you seen her TV?? Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Captain Judy - I love that you're keeping a blog again! Will you be coming back to Austin at all before you go back to school this fall?

    Yay that you're coming home soon Renny! I have never lived abroad for longer than 5ish months and this time it's only a little over 4. I wonder if perhaps it has something to do with the time frame we set up in our minds for how long we'll be in a place and that we start reacting this way when we near the end of our time? ...in any case I have YET to see Cheasty's TV (or her new place!) so I too nominate her for our movie night host even if she doesn't know it yet ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey my dear friend.... I feel you ...i could feel all you said by words...

    for sure you felt the difference of the time...time is something that change with location and culture.

    But you can always bring some of this new experience inside you for the outside where ever you will be ... is hard but is wonderful do know the feeling of different cultures.

    I will be here waiting to hug you! and life will give you much more of these feelings just because you are a wonderful person that can made that happen and have the sensibility to see and feel it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oi Abder, obrigada pela visita e suas palavras :-) Looking forward to that hug <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad for you that you've had these experiences and now this: "rich fullness of time"...quite eloquent. I tip my hat and am pleased to know you will carry all this forward.

    ReplyDelete