Monday, February 1, 2010

A Week in the Life of an Intern

So, now that I've provided a little background information on my internship, I suppose it's only right to fill y'all in on what I've actually been doing for the past week or so when I'm not out galavanting about the countryside or experiencing the Brazilian health care system.

Part II.

A week ago today, I reported at 8:30 for my first full day. The office is on the fourth floor and I have posted a picture below of the view out the window, past cute little plants.


That Monday I waited outside the entrance, which is protected by a barred gate that extends about 20 feet, with several doors, each door locked with a chain and padlock. Inside is a seating area and the front door. At lunch I learned that it was much easier to take the elevator down to the ground floor and exit/enter through the staff parking lot. Ah ha!

The elevator itself is an odd experience though. The buttons give me the same feeling of opening my iPhone. It's this light touch which you're supposed to perform just-so in order to get the button to light up. Of course, the button for the fourth floor happens to be tempermental and slightly broken, so really it's just the luck of your touch. I have thought that I pressed it correctly, only to go up, stopping at each floor, only to descend back down again instead of going to my floor. It's these little things though, that I feel as a foreigner, make you feel like there's some simple magic trick that you're not being let in on, or because of your foreignness is just not part of your line of thinking. As though everyone else can do this except you.

However, nobody else seems to know the trick either.

Why don't I just walk up the flights of stairs you ask? Yes, that would make sense. But, after a rigorous 20 minute walk in hot and humid weather, I'm already dripping with sweat (no one else seems to sweat around here. Just me.) and I want to start the cooling down process so I'm looking somewhat presentable by the time I reach the fourth floor.

Wow, I digress.

That first Monday I was given an overview (with a cool chart to help illustrate) of the Brazilian juvenile justice system and the part that my program plays in it. I was also given a cool little pin to proudly display on my backpack :-) Then, A.F. (who when I asked her if she'd like an alias for this blog, stuck with A.F.) began the patient task of introducing me to all the various paperwork that comes to the office regarding the kiddos and how it gets entered into the system.

Yes, a lot of my week was spent in data entry. The rest of the time I translating various internship-related documents from my university into Portuguese and drafting an Educational Contract/Internship Plan. This is harder than it sounds (assuming of course that it sounds easy to you). I have not yet learned Portuguese words for social work lingo like "transference" and "use of self." We'll find out in my meeting with my academic supervisor this week how well all my attempts went!

Sometimes too, I sat at a desk reading literature about the program and its inner workings. The person who the desk belonged to was on vacation and so I got to enjoy her pretty yellow flowers.


By the way, I asked my colleagues today how much vacation they get. "Just 30 days," they said, "But you can split it up if you want." Man, don't I wish I could get something like back in the United States!

So, back to that paperwork and data entry. I don't want to leave you with the impression that this was boring.  You see:

No. 1 I got to be with A.F. who was wonderfully patient with me and also very good-humored and fun.

No. 2 Meu deus, there are a lot of acronyms to learn! You know how it is with all new systems - there really is a specialized language that they speak. I learned to speak it at a criminal defense firm. I learned to speak it at social work school. And goshdarnit, of course I want to learn how to speak it here. There are acronyms for the juvenile justice process and there are acronyms for every different piece of paper that gets filed for these kids. It's a lot! All this repetition has been incredibly good for me as its helping me learn and feel more comfortable with this system that I am now a part of until May.

No. 3 This paperwork is really interesting stuff! Seriously. It's confidential and so not just anyone can see or have access to it.  And I got to sit there and just pore over it. I mean, it includes descriptions of the kids' actos infraccionais (offending acts) which often involving drug trafficking (you don't actually get arrested here for just possessing personal amounts of narcotics, it's gotta be more serious possession). However, there's some murder, sexual assault, threats, assault too. There were transcripts from the court processes with judge, which were pretty fascinating. I love this stuff. It immediately gets my brain thinking and trying to picture this situation: What's this kid like? How does his voice sound when he's talking? How's the judge treating him? Hmmm, how reliable is this witness? And seriously, this police account, this is kinda shady to me! All that time I spent at a law firm made me adore reading police reports because they're like puzzles you automatically want to start pulling apart and trying to put together again in different configurations, trying your hardest to get closer to some sort of elusive truth.

And one of the sweeter aspects was that when a kid finishes his/her required medidas socioeducativas (socio-educational measures), they get to fill out a form talking about their experience in the program. Lots don't write anything, but the ones who do appear to be pretty impacted by their time. One young man even wrote a poem about looking inside yourself for answers...

No. 4 It's all in Portuguese! This makes everything automatically that much more fun and more challenging. Even trying to type down numbers that someone dictates to me in Portuguese can require a bit of concentration. There's a lot of vocabulary to learn that I hadn't even considered before or needed to know.

For example today, A. F. had me filling out some information on the internet database based on some paperwork she just received. As she instructed me she said, "Type this and this and this and this, then put a vírgula...." I typed this and this and this and this and then I paused....thinking...what on earth was a vírgula? I didn't know. She waited patiently for a few seconds and then leaned over and punched the comma key on the keyboard. I started laughing. What a fancy word for a comma! She started laughing with me and then whenever she had to say it the rest of the afternoon, we both giggled a little.

And on top of that I get to learn a lot of groovy Portuguese names. Many times these kids have names that are Portuguese approximations of an English name. My favorites so far are Dinifer (pronounced similar to Jennifer) and Geison (pronounced similar to Jason).

---

Last Friday's adventure included a trip with A. F. to the courthouse. Turns out that this program and its umbrella foundation has drivers and cars. Wow, I hadn't thought about that. I mentioned this to A.F. She said, "You mean, you don't back home?" She then explained further that since she was carrying a lot of confidential papers, it just made sense even if the courthouse was maybe a half mile away. Yes, better not to have confidential information on juveniles stolen. We climbed into a white van and our driver drove down little roads. Inside the courthouse, she knew the secret elevator that would help us bypass that huge lines. We went up to the juvenile floor and into a room with a gorgeous view of the Guaiaba lake. Later, A. F. told me that they often have the shades drawn and the room is dark. Perhaps to keep the heat out.

She handed over a stack of papers. Then they brought a new stack of papers to us. We went through each one and checked it off in their ledger. Then A. F. initialed next to the checks. After, our own ledger was returned with the papers we had brought also checked off and initialed. Little detailed steps that I've noticed seemed to be an integral part of the system.

---

And so, I'll end this post with a description of the coffee. It's not like back in the U.S. where there's usually always a pot of coffee on in the break room. Instead, a young woman with a lovely smile, who also has janitorial duties, brews it downstairs in the kitchen and brings it up in red thermoses to each office space in the morning. There are also two blue thermoses with hot water for those who want tea. And there's a tray full of little mugs, some stirring spoons. For sweeteners there's white sugar or adoçante, sugar-free sweetener. This picture below is the adoçante that EVERYONE has, be it in their kitchens or at a restaurant. For a while I resisted it, but then I figured, why not, a few drops can't hurt. Especially since there's never any cream(er) and everyone drinks their coffee like an espresso.


The young woman washes the used cups and replaces the coffee and hot water at least once during the day. Sometimes employees bring in some cookies or crackers and leave them here to share with the office. It's nice to have the coffee.


And so today at 6 PM, my week-long(ish) orientation into the processes of the central office ended. I may be back every couple weeks for some supervision with one of the coordinators, but not usually for more than an hour.

Next up: clinical work with Brazilian youth in conflict with the law!

6 comments:

  1. good to hear that you are haing fun with giggles over funky names for common things!
    curious about the adocye ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adventure! I can't imagine working in an official capacity in a second language and acronym city to boot.
    Good luck with it.
    It's nice to hear your cyberspace voice again.
    Beautiful photo of the yellow flower! It's silk, isn't it?
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! It sounds like you've had quite the learning adventure at your internship!! I think it's going to be amazing for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments. It's definitely an adventure, from the little things to the big things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. phewie! alison...what a organized and detailed system you seem to be finding your way into! can't wait to hear about more of your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey South Africa, I keep meaning to write more about the internship but then I keep thinking it'll take more time so I put it off in favor of easier posts. Soon, I promise! I am LOVING hearing about everything you all have been experiencing. AMAZING, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete