Friday, February 5, 2010

Brazilian Teenagers After a Downpour


Rain
Originally uploaded by Blue Dragonfly Girl
A week ago today, I got caught in a terrific downpour on my way home from my internship. Of course, I hadn't remembered my umbrella. Worse than that, I'd considered taking it, but thought, "Nah!" Eventually I stopped caring about getting wet (it was too late for that) and just started enjoying myself.

A few blocks away from the hostel, with the rain subsiding, I found myself behind a group of teenagers, dressed mostly in black clothing. They were giggling and doing silly things (pressing all the call buttons outside an apartment building and then running away, for example) and skipping over puddles. Like me, they were soaking wet.

One of the girls turned to me and said, "Will you give me a hug?"

I paused for a second to comprehend and then said, "Ok."

Inwardly, I felt a bit nervous. Everyone I talk to is reminding me to take precautions, to be careful.

But at the same point, I didn't want to deny a hug. It was part of the fun that she was half joking and half genuine.

We hugged.

I was quite aware of how my bag was hanging and aware that no movement was being made towards it. Though I'm sure in that moment someone could have pick-pocketed me without me noticing. So, I was a little tense. But, I was trying to overcome that because it just felt like extra, unnecessary weight.

"Don't worry," said one of the other boys, laughing, and reading my subconscious fears, "We're not going to assault you."

"No, we love you" said the hugging girl and then repeated in English this time, "I love you." They were laughing. I laughed.We smiled. I felt a lot of love for them.

Our paths parted ways.

And I just smiled to myself about that little encounter. Who knows what they were intending. Really, it didn't matter. I'm sure it was a spontaneous part of their antics. The energy behind it was silly and sweet. Reminding me that sometimes it's good to let down our guard a little, just to trust in a wet hug with a stranger on a street corner, because maybe that's exactly what we need.

5 comments:

  1. Hugs make the world a better place. I would've done the same!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you would have because you're a great hugger :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to take a risk for a human hug connection, A. :) We so often walk around with the assumption that strangers can't hug other on the street -- but, we can if we want! And why not? All that makes us strangers is the hesitancy to embrace another with open heart, or arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, poetic way of describing the meaning of hugging strangers Britt!

    I like the hug-movement that happens every once in a while with folks on the street holding out "Free Hugs!" signs. A friend of mine experienced this in Korea but I've also seen folks with these signs in ATX - I better remember to take more advantage of free hugs next time I get the opportunity ;-)

    ReplyDelete