Sunday, February 7, 2010

My First Churrasco

Yesterday evening V. and her husband invited me and others (including Estrela) to their lovely house for some churrasco. They live on the outskirts of town with a view of the biggest hill in the city. Due to V.'s good directions, I was successfully able to make it there on the bus.

When I arrived we sat outside on the front patio sharing chimarrão and enjoying the sunset and V.'s roses.

 
 

So, it is kind of funny, that I, a vegetarian, would first move to Texas, aka land of BBQ and cowboys, and then come to the state of Rio Grande do Sul, aka land of churrasco and vaqueros (cowboys), for a stint. It's all about meat here! Churrasco is when the meat is put on a metal stick and grilled. Yup, that's one big slab of meat.


My hosts were sensitive to my strange practices and made some accommodations for me. Yay for grilled onions (on the left)!


And of course there was lots of other delicious food to enjoy too: potato salad, tomato & onion salad, garlic bread, salad with carrots, beets & tomatoes, yummy dessert and amazingly delicious homemade wine. V.'s husband has been making wine (both white and red) for decades now and it's really good stuff.  It was a great evening with great company (luckily they ate more meat on my behalf) and delicious food.

7 comments:

  1. yummmy yum! i've taken a pause on the vegetarianism and have reconnected with the deliciousness of meat. way to stick to your path lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so good to imagine that good food!!!! yummi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's easier for me to stick to my path of vegetarianism seeing as I've never eaten meat. I wonder if I had been brought up eating meat, if I ever would have stopped. But now I just don't have the desire for it.

    Too bad y'all aren't here to enjoy it - I bet it's delicious :-) When my boyfriend makes it here, he'll have to have some churrasco on y'all's behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering if the no-meat has been difficult, knowing a little of the Brazilian daily menu. How else have you found finding food there?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually for the most part eating well is easy here. There are actually more vegetarian restaurants here than in Austin and of course the supermarkets are well stocked. Tofu is actually in the cheese aisle and marketed as "Soy Cheese."

    Eating at people's houses can be a little hard on them because they don't feel like their feeding me enough, but everything has been tasty.

    I'm not necessarily a fan of the more traditional food down here - it's pretty heavy on the dairy/pasta/meat but hey, salads can suffice in those occasions and I can't resist the polenta sticks ;-) Besides fruits and veggies are absolutely delicious!!!

    Have you had any time in your crazy busy schedule for more Veganomicon cooking? If not, we'll have to have another cooking date this summer!

    ReplyDelete