Monday, February 8, 2010

Cup of Tea at Sunset

A few weeks ago, I enjoyed a cup of chocolate-mint tea in the rooftop cafe of the Casa de Cultura (House of Culture) Mario Quintana. The beautiful pink building in downtown Porto Alegre was once the Hotel Majestic, where I have been told the poet Mario Quintana used to reside.

Yesterday while in one of the city's gazillion malls, I happened upon a book of his poetry and thought it only appropriate that I buy a copy.

And here is a snippet (translated likely roughly, by me - feel free to offer better more nuanced translations!) of a poem titled, "Para olhar por outro ângulo" (For looking from another angle") that I thought was amusingly appropriate to all my musings about the new, sometimes different, sometimes seemingly "exotic" things I'm experiencing here in Brazil...

I'm suspicious of those tourists that consider the places they've visited to be exotic. They stay outside, seeing the picturesque in everything: the houses, the clothes, the customs, the beliefs...
And they aren't even suspicious that only exotic note in those defenseless countries is precisely themselves!
 (Desconfio desses turistas que consideram exóticos os países visitados. Ficam de fora, vendo o pitoresco em tudo: nas casa, nas roupas, nos costumes, nas crenças...
E nem desconfiam que a única nota exótica desses indefesos países são precisamente eles!)

I'll leave you with a photograph of the poet himself inside the Casa de Cultura.

4 comments:

  1. hahaha...there's a Hotel Majestic in Krugersdorp (the bigger city near Botshabelo where we go for the 7 hour mall trips)...and it's not used for poetry, but rather, a brothel! haha...gotta love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just did some catching up on your blog, and a) your writing is really good, and b) i'm glad you're figuring brazilian life out, one bus ride and churrasco at a time. thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I always feel in China! Expect locals make no effort to hide how foreign they find me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip South Africa, I'll be sure not to confuse the two places if I ever make it to Botshabelo :-)

    And thanks for the visit Cheasty! Any chance you'll be returning to the blogging world? I miss your blog :-(

    And Kevin, I can only imagine how "exotic" you are in China ;-) At times I forget that I could be considered exotic here but then there's little comments that clue me in. This evening for example, I happened to be learning samba with a group that's going to dance in a carnaval parade here this weekend. One woman was kind of laughing at me (nicely of course) and said, "Can you imagine?! An American dancing samba!"

    ReplyDelete