Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Our Lady of the Seafarers

Nossa Senhora dos Navegantes, or Our Lady of the Seafarers, is the patron saint of Porto Alegre. And so of course, because it was her day today, the whole city was shut down in order to celebrate.

I got the times a bit muddled in my head and woke up this morning only to realize I had already missed the start of Nossa Senhora's procession from the downtown church to her church quite a few miles away.

I figured I could use some exercise so I handed my room key to the Uruguayan at the front desk and set out to join the procession if possible (it wasn't). Or at least meet it at the second church for the 10 AM service and ensuing festivities. 

The streets were quiet and practically empty.


Unfortunately, the one I was walking down for approximately one hour was also quite boring. Even the grass was growing tall for lack of anything better to do.

The sun was already burning hot. But, I had been a somewhat good guría and put sunscreen on my face. However, I'd neglected to open up the SPF 50 I have on my desk and apply it to the rest of my exposed body. Silly, silly me.

It was a long, uneventful walk. Then all of a sudden I started hearing booming noises off in the distance. The festivities had begun! I felt no closer to them, until people started streaming out from everywhere, seemingly leaving already.


Well, at least I knew I was going in the right direction.

And luckily, things were far from over.


And the church service was in full swing.


Just outside the actual church.


And Nossa Senhora was there too collecting lots of roses.

 

 

Of course there was also a fairground too.

 

  

 

And onlookers, who weren't sure if they wanted to join in, or perhaps had to work and stay at their posts.

 

 

Leaving the church/fairground, there were all sorts of other fun delights.

Food.

 

 

And of course, fire breathers. 'Cuz you have to have fire breathers.


By this point, I was hot, dripping with sweat (though I wasn't the only one!) and feeling done. I felt ready to brave the bus system and head back to the downtown....it's just that everyone else seemed to have the same idea as me!


I ended up walking about a 1/4 mile or so to a bus stop further away so that I could actually get on without having my toes stepped on. I was excited to discover that I had correct change. And then happier still to see that bus rides were free today.

After I got downtown, I still had about a 10 minute walk back to the hostel. I was ridiculously tired. I was gulping down water as I made my way there. 

When I walked in the door of the hostel, the Uruguayan said, "What happened to you? You're all burnt!" Yup, I'm getting freckles on my face (that's what happens when it burns) and my chest and neck area was a lovely shade of red.

I was useless for the rest of the day.

5 comments:

  1. Well at least you were able to be a part of the citywide celebration! I hope you rested well for the rest of the day. Hopefully there is some aloe vera somewhere nearby. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely glad I went there - and glad that I didn't realize how insane the undertaking was until after I'd done it ;-) Yup, aloe vera's on my list. Moisturizing cream isn't that helpful because it's still so hot that it just makes me feel greasy and even more sweaty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilene's South African blog has a very similar post to yours. She also got sunburnt from walking around all day. Meanwhile it's super chilly and rainy here in Austin. I love all the pictures and culture you're soaking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny - I thought I could handle the heat considering I've lived in Texas for 4+ years, BUT my God, I am sweating ALLLLL day long. I think I have to get some more appropriate shirts for this weather, but I'm not quite sure what...

    And I'm loving reading Ilene's blog too (And Ayla's) - my guess is that their heat is more intense than what I'm experiencing.

    How's your internship going?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Partaaaay in P.A.!! Hello local flavor, nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete