Wednesday, February 17, 2010

And Then I Sweetly Misspoke...


Sunday
Originally uploaded by Blue Dragonfly Girl
I got to participate in another youth group this afternoon. It involved more painting and in my standard style I managed to get white paint on my jeans, my bracelet and of course way up inside my fingernails.

It was fun!

Before everyone left, E., the coordinator, asked me to teach an English word to the teenagers that I thought might have some resonance. So I chose "sweet" explaining how though it literally refers to yummy-tasting food it also can be used to describe good things. Saying "That's sweet!" can be like saying, "That's cool!"

Everyone thought it was a sweet word and repeated it out loud (sometimes adding a bit of a vowel sound at the end because that's what Portuguese speakers like to do to all words that end in consonants). Sweetchi!

As we continued to talk about it I said that it was kind of like saying "bacana" (great).

Except that everyone paused and looked at me strangely when I said "bacana."

The art coordinator, T. said, "Uh, no that's not the same I don't think."

I realized that I had put the emphasis on the wrong syllable.

Instead of saying bana, I had said baca.

"No, no, I meant to say bana," I quickly added. 

Everyone started laughing, initially I think in surprise, then it got louder but remained pretty good-natured in tone. Still, no mistaking it, they were definitely laughing at me and not with me.

I realized that what I said had sounded just a little too close to comfort to the word, bacanal.

But, truth is, I didn't know what bacanal meant. I just knew that everyone was laughing so that clearly I'd stumbled accidentally upon something inappropriate.

I said, "Hmmm, I'm guessing that I should be embarrassed by what I just said, shouldn't I?" Some kids nodded. No one explained to me what I had said. I couldn't help but blush as I started laughing too.

Still, while I turned a darker shade of red I mused that there's nothing like embarrassing yourself in front of a group of teenagers. I hoped and rationalized that they would see that I could handle it and keep on going on.

Whatever it was I said, it must have been funny.

E. gracefully made some comment about all the craziness of carnival from the weekend messing with our brains and, laughter subsided, we moved on to another topic. They certainly didn't force me to stay with my embarrassment too long. One kid even asked me how the war was going in our country...I certainly had to pause before responding to that one, but came up with a decent answer I think based on the kids' body language while I was talking.

"See," said E. "With Alison we can talk about silly things and we can talk about serious things."

When leaving one girl wanted me to write the word "sweet" down for her so she could remember. All in all, I left feeling good about the afternoon and looking forward to seeing everyone again.

When I got home I looked up "bacanal" online (it wasn't in my Harper Collins which I find rather prudish of them) to see what I'd compared the word sweet to.

So, as it turns out, it means....orgy. Yes, orgy.

I told 15-year-olds that saying "sweet" is very similar to saying "orgy." Meu deus!

I turned bright red and had a return laughing attack as I sat here alone in my room in front of the computer, thinking perhaps it was better that I only find out now what I had so sweetly misspoken before.

5 comments:

  1. Haha, it's ok. I found out a couple months into my stay here that "chaqueta" is not, as I thought, "jacket," but instead slang for condom. I don't even want to think about how many times I casually mentioned to people here that I wished I thought to bring a jacket with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one Renny -- I can only imagine saying that in an air-conditioned movie theater for example. Good to know you too are helping perpetuate the image of us crazy Americans ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was jacket too!! Well, hmmmmm.... Alison, your story, esp. when it go to the end and you looked up the word, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    I was laughing so hard, oh my goodness, I can just see their faces!! I probably would've turned red too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, that's great... and a familiar feeling to me, I mangled French so much worse... lol. All in all a pretty cool experience you had, dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Supna, glad I got you to laugh. And thanks for the comment ZZblaine - all us language-manglers need to share our stories :-)

    Reminds me of a British person I knew in Spain who went to a cafe in the morning and asked for toast with "preservativos" thinking it sounded close enough to the English "preserves" to fly. Oops, not quite, like chaquetas in Mexico, preservativos are another word for condoms in Spain. ;-)

    ReplyDelete