Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tapioca

On Saturday afternoon, A., the Man-Who-Came-From-Italia and I were strolling around the city center. We stopped to rest and have something to drink. A. pointed to a nearby foodstand asking me, "Have you ever tried tapioca?"

"Sure," I said, "I've tried it before. I think I like it best when it's these tapioca balls, sometimes called pearls, in tea."

"I don't think we're talking about the same thing," said A. shaking her head, "This is a traditional food from northeast Brazil. It's a like a thin pancake made from manioca flour and filled with either something savory or something sweet."

I went up to read the menu of fillings and convinced A. to share one with me. We decided on bananas flambe and mozzarella filling. It sounded unique anyhow.

The cook spread the flour into a frying pan. No oil or anything. It cooked about a minute. Then he added the bananas. Then the shredded mozzarella. Folded the pancake over flat and served it to me in a little paper bag.

It was sooooo delicious. I couldn't stop smiling. Neither could A. For some reason though, the Man-Who-Came-From-Italia wouldn't try this ridiculously tasty treat. From the looks on A.'s and my faces, I would have thought anybody would be convinced that it was worth a bite. Sweet and tangy. My mouth is watering just remembering.


4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmm!! That sounds delicious!! I would've gotten some too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, Supna, I think you would like it :-) I'll have to see if I can learn how to make it, since I saw some of the manioca flour in the supermarket, it must be do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely try it and we can try to replicate it back here when you're back! :-)

    ReplyDelete