Friday, January 8, 2010

Packing in Anticipation of How Much I Dislike Packing

Today, I am re-visiting one of my New Year's resolutions:
* Be 95% packed and ready to go a few days before my flight leaves for Brazil
Packing is always so much more overwhelming than I anticipate. Even when I anticipate that it will be bad.

For the past week I have been slowly slogging away at it, in between wonderful visits with old and new friends, visiting new places (such as Bossa Nova, where I tried a fabulous fruit smoothie with ginger), re-visiting old ones (Kerbey Lane on South Lamar), seeing movies (Avatar)...

Making a pile of "potential" clothes for Brazil and then dividing them in half. Taking a few more out of the pile the next day. Then adding a t-shirt (or two) I just had to buy from Target.

Slowly checking things off my list of things to buy: shampoo & conditioner, Advil, Uno (when it doubt, teach kids how to play cards), Extra Strength Hua Tuo Medicated Plasters, Emergen-C and God knows what else.

Figuring out what art supplies, jewelry, books, photographs I deemed impossible to live without during the next for months (I have some interesting ideas of "necessary" items).

And so after returning from a lovely evening of catching up with two girlfriends, I decided it was time to see if the massive pile of stuff accumulating on the futon would fit in my suitcases...I rolled up all the shirts army-style, just as a friend returning from boot camp taught me. I started feeling hopeful.

And, amazingly, everything fit. With room to spare. Woo hoo!



Even my beloved yoga mat is in there, wedged diagonally, taking up a lot of space in the larger suitcase. It looks pretty reasonable considering how long I'll be gone.

Now, the reality check is that there is a bit more to add. And I haven't weighed the bags yet either. I also feel like a total overly prepared dork. Still, I'm feeling some weight off my shoulders as I anticipate my last 4 days in Austin.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos to your packing! I always love the idea of doing new things before one leaves home.

    Did you know that your Grandmother Fader has been sharing her roll-packing method since her Army days . . you are following in her footsteps . . .

    Sounds like you've achieved more than your 95% goal!

    And, I love the sepia photo . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are WAAAAAAY ahead of me packing-wise. I'm envious that you're pretty much set and that everything fit in your luggage (with room to spare)!!!

    Cross your fingers for me--and the 354 sweaters and jackets I'm taking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know I'm following in my gram's footsteps. And hey, you never know, perhaps if you follow army-folding (rolling) style, you might even fit 354 sweaters & jackets in your suitcase A :-)

    ReplyDelete