Thursday, January 28, 2010

Brazil Combats Nicotine

I recently got to see a Brazilian package of cigarettes up close and personal. I was quite intrigued by the anti-smoking warning.

As you can see they have decided that images speak louder than just words. Just writing that smoking causes impotence doesn't seem to have the same effect as this unhappy man here looking down at his crotch.


Here's another image for your contemplation that translates to "Suffering." Essentially, don't smoke or you'll get lung cancer and leave your serious wife and adorable son to mourn as you die.


Dude, I think these images do kinda kill the mood, or at least cut back on the film noir glamor of smoking. But then again, I don't smoke. I don't even smoke apple-flavored tobacco from a hookah because the next day I wake up with what feels like an ugly hangover. Point being, I don't need to be convinced. So I'm curious to know: would these images cause you to think twice if you were trying a cigarette for the first time? Or the 547th time? What reaction would you have?

4 comments:

  1. because i have absolutely no clue.... so what the occurrence of smoking in brazil that they put a fiercer and more illustrative effort out? (i guess it must be higher than in the us)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I am not sure...I would not think that the occurrence of smoking is that much higher here...my guess is just that they go to more extreme measures to get their point across? I will have to check and see if I can find any statistics...anyone else know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures do speak louder than words...and let's face it, that impotence photo image definitely doesn't need translation. I'd think twice. Nobody wants a thumbs down, down there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point Ms. Britt - I am definitely turned off by the impotence photo and I'm not even a guy. Strong stuff.

    ReplyDelete