Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ficha Estrangeira No. 32

When I was waiting my turn to register with the federal police, I got to watch lots of Brazilians getting their passport photos taken. They'd brush their hair, apply a little lipstick, position themselves just-so. Then the employees would show them the photo afterward to make sure they approved.

Indeed when I went to get my 3x4s taken for the registration, the process was different than what I'm used to.

What I'm used to is very quick picture taking. You're in, you're out. It's done. Who cares how awful you end up looking in the photograph because it's a given that you won't look your best. It's like a law or something.

However, it was a different situation here. The man in the key-making/passport photo store walked me to the portrait room. In one corner was a mirror with brushes and combs below it.

"Take as much time as you need. Do you want to put on any lipstick? Whatever you need to do."

My initial reaction, of course, was, "Oh no! Do I look that bad that I need to fix myself up?"

I put on chapstick, hoping that was close enough to lipstick. I tried to run my fingers through my hair.

He sat me in a chair surrounded by all sorts of lighting equipment. He kept either adjusting me, especially the positioning of my face, sometimes my shoulders, or the lighting equipment.

"Smile," he said, "Try to smile."

I tried to smile. He took a photograph.

He came back and adjusted the positioning of my face again.

"Ok, now this time," he said, "Try to smile but keep your lips closed. Don't show your teeth."

He took another photograph.

"Now if you'll please wait outside, it'll only be a few minutes," he said.

I outside on the bench and looked at all the different keys on the wall and watched cars pass by on the street outside.

He arrived with the photos.

"I think you look good in these!" he said, "They came out well! You look pretty!" He sounded proud.

Even that amused me, since I've never had a discussion with people taking my photo for my license or passport about whether or not I appear attractive in the shots. But this man took his work seriously; he wanted his subjects to look good.

He was a professional. It seems that this is how things are done here.

6 comments:

  1. Well of course you look pretty. How could you not?! ;) Happy about all the kind people you're meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is so cool! It makes me chuckle a little I admit. I love learning of how things are dealt differently in other countries

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all - it's fun experiencing these little differences that I wouldn't necessarily have expected :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference! Wouldn't it be nice if we had the same experience here? You always look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Supna, what a crazy idea, huh, that we would get to look fabulous in our passport photos and our drivers licenses!

    ReplyDelete