Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Tree for a Saturday

It was a Saturday morning. I stood outside the Lomba office with my supervisor. There we were, ready to immerse ourselves in paperwork that was hard to get done on weekdays.

Except we couldn't get in the building. The gate was locked with a thick chain and padlock. The guard was nowhere to be seen. "Why is it?" I asked, "That you don't all have keys?" I was curious, since life seemed much more complicated this way.

"I do have keys to our office room inside," said my supervisor, "But out here, it's a question of security."

I hadn't realized that there was supposed to be a guard in the building 24/7. Except at this particular moment, the guard wasn't there. My supervisor was on the phone trying to figure out what was going on. And there was little I could do to be helpful, except wait.

I looked up and saw the most lovely tree.


How could it be that I'd never observed its splendor before?

Admiring this tree, I finally observed that we were standing outside in the midst of a delicious day. It felt good to be waiting on this sidewalk with a big blue sky overhead. Instead of pointing out this revelation to my supervisor and interrupting her phone conversation, I contained myself by taking a couple of photos.



A few minutes later the doorman arrived, walking down the sidewalk towards us, apologizing: "Sorry, I just stepped out for a quick cup of coffee at home."

We left the sunshine outside and went inside to our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment