Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Mate Across Borders


Originally uploaded by Blue Dragonfly Girl
A few days ago, I was sitting drinking a cup of mate at a lighthouse, watching the snow whirling outside on the Massachusetts coast. Texas had been pretty chilly, but my trip home to New England had reminded me what cold really meant even through long underwear, scarves, hats, neck warmers, gloves, snow boots and winter jackets. And with no internet access in sight, I had no choice but to sit, relax and watch the wind blowing the snow about.

I was thinking about how I'd be soon be sitting, maybe sharing a gourd of mate (or as they call it, chimarrão) with Brazilians in humid 80 degree weather in South America.

I remember when mate first started gaining popularity in the states. One of the attorneys that I worked for, who was always ahead of the trends, started drinking mate at work, using the traditional straw. She raved about how great the stuff was, good tasting and good for you, and containing enough caffeine for a little pick-me-up but not enough to get you jittery. I should have listened earlier because this was the same person who told me that I absolutely must watch The Wire. And I will be forever be grateful to her for turning me on to that amazing show.

So, now a mate convert, I'm excited to learn the customs of how to really drink this beverage when I'm living amongst the gauchos. And, as much as I love the beauty of the snow, I also won't  mind being welcomed by the summertime weather of Brazil in about three weeks' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment