Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Except Brazil

One thing that continually irks me is the newest trend in airlines to charge for checking baggage. There's just nothing like searching and searching for the best ticket deal only to realize when you arrive at the airport that it's going to cost you an extra $20 each way if you want to bring your suitcase with you too. I usually try my damnedest to cram my stuff into a carry on bag, but there are times when that's just not feasible. This includes when I find myself traveling out of the country for 4 months.

I had thought that international flights were safe from this insanity. But I was wrong. The other night when trying to find out how much it was going to cost to check a bag when flying to Massachusetts (unfortunately it's hard to cram clothes and Christmas presents into one carry-on), I discovered with shock that many international flights were charging for checking more than 1 bag, some for checking any. "You've got to be kidding me," I thought.

I went on the airline I'll be using to fly to Brazil and felt both amused and pleased to read the following line:

The service fee will not apply to customers seated in First or BusinessFirst, OnePass Elite members, Presidential Plus primary credit cardmembers, customers traveling on full-fare economy (Y) class tickets, active military personnel or any customer traveling to/from Brazil.

Woo hoo! I'm not sure exactly what kind of relationship Brazil and this airline have, but it feels like playing Monopoly and picking up the Get out of Jail Free card. Along with military personnel and elite people who have fancy super duper cards (that probably also allow me to resent them when they get to bypass the regular security line), I get the privilege of checking in not just one, but two whole bags, weighing no more than 50 pounds each, for free! Well, "for free", plus the $1200 ticket price that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment