Monday, April 12, 2010

Etiquette in the Bathroom

I had been at my internship for a few days. At some point I absentmindedly read the sign located on the door to the bathroom stall. It asked me to kindly throw my toilet paper in the trash can. "Ah ha!" I realized, suddenly able to visualize all the little trash cans I'd seen next to toilets since I'd arrived in Brazil. All full of toilet paper. Yup, used toilet paper. The plumbing system did seem to have a hard time flushing the stuff down the toilet, that was for sure. "Oh my!" I realized, "I'm the person this sign is intended for. I'm the one lacking manners."

After this flash of enlightenment it took me quite some time to train myself to do this instinctively. You spend a lifetime throwing toilet paper in the toilet bowl and it's hard to change old habits. But, now? Now, I'm a pro. If that's something to be proud of, I guess. Of course in about five weeks time, when I return to the US, I'll have to retrain myself not to do this any longer. For the meantime however, I'll mind my manners and pay better attention to what the bathroom signs ask of me:

- Don't urinate on the floor
- Throw toilet paper in the trash can
- After using, flush the toilet
KEEP THE BATHROOM CLEAN

Notice

Sweet, I think I can handle all that! I'm so totally Miss Manners now, at least when it comes to bathroom usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment