Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Coming Back to Texas

 O Cachorrinho is Ready to Fly!

Who knew it could be so hard to say goodbye to a place. That heavy, choked up feeling in your chest. Pressing my hand against the window as though I was leaving a lover forever. In a sense it's true. I may come back, but it will be a new experience. I was saying goodbye to an amazing four months over a certain time in a certain place that will never exist again. Yup, eyes welling up. A few tears.

Goodbye Porto Alegre

And I was also ready to be going home. I began to note the language transition after I landed in São Paulo and everyone spoke to me in English, despite me (unconsciously) responding in Portuguese.

Then all of a sudden there I was in Houston and making small talk was effortless again because it was in my native tongue. Though also, the lovely sound of Portuguese was still there too: several Brazilians set across from me discussing the (lack of) internet connection. Across the way, I overheard conversation in Spanish. Ah, the United States. Gotta love the language blend.

With a ringing in my ear (nothing like flying when you've got a cold), I drank coffee and watched the sky light up with morning and played Sudoku on my iPhone. 

Morning in Houston

My sweet boyfriend greeted me at the Austin airport with a mug of my favorite tea with evaporated milk and we stopped for breakfast tacos at Taco Deli before heading home. 

I am back and actually already unpacked. 

But, I'm not ready to be done with this blog yet. More posts to come!


6 comments:

  1. cheers to your return to Texas, a special person greeting you are the airport, and your favorite tea upon your arrival! how sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!
    Pretty unbelievable that it's been 4 months already.
    Reading this entry (and accompanying pics) I really experienced a visceral shift in (virtual?) perspective. In a weird way you brought us back with you.
    I have to say its been a terrific experience tagging along with you in Porto Alegre.
    Thanks for the trip!

    j/k_lolz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, I'm glad to hear there are more posts coming. I need something to do for the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks y'all...I'll be back soon with some more posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn´t read this posting and it was sooooo very nice to read it now, Libelua Azul. We miss you here in POA. Me and Cipote really got to like you, I can say even love you as the wonderful person we got to know. For us it was also a wonderful, a one of a kind experience, sharing these 4 months with you. Thank you, Alison, obrigada por tudo, pelo carinho, pela amizade, por compartilhar tantas coisas em nossas vidas. Our house is open for you and anyone from your family, always!! so, please come back, we´ll be very happy to have you back.
    I am A (although it will be as anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Anonymous aka A :-) It was an amazing experience and time only makes me realize that even more. I definitely miss you and feel so lucky to have gotten to know you. Can't wait to see you in Texas! (hint, hint)

    ReplyDelete